“Good bread is the most fundamentally satisfying of all foods; and good bread with fresh butter, the greatest of feasts.”

James Beard (1903-1985)


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

BBD#29 - Baking In A Pot

Spring is here! I've already spent some considerable time (and money) working in my garden, building new beds, amending the soil and trying to figure out where and when to plant the huge amount of vegetable seeds I seem to end up with every time I go to the garden section of the store. How does that happen? Does a girl really need eight different types of green beans? (eh..yes!)

Cathy from The Bread Experience is announcing this month's Bread Baking Day challenge: baking bread in pots. Since I've already been cleaning, filling and planting pots, I might as well bake in one too!

The "pot" I chose is a red terra-cotta clay pan from Spain. I usually use it directly on the stove or as a salad bowl, but had never baked in it before. And to stick with the spring theme, I picked something to do with the fresh spinach from my garden: smoked turkey and spinach rolls!

Smoked Turkey and Spinach Rolls
4 cups of flour
1.5 cups of warm water
.5 cup of warm milk
1 heaping teaspoon of active dry yeast
1 heaping teaspoon of kosher salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon of butter
16 slices of smoked turkey slices
1 package of Boursin cheese
2 cups of fresh spinach leaves

Add the milk and the warm water to the flour, sprinkle the yeast on top and mix the dough once or twice. Now add the salt, the egg and the butter and knead the dough into shape: add a tablespoon of flour if the dough is too wet, or a tablespoon of milk if it's too dry. Knead for a good five minutes or until the dough is soft and does not stick to your hands.

Rest the dough in an oiled container, covered, in a warm spot until the dough has doubled almost in size. Lightly flour the kitchen counter, pat the air out of the dough and stretch or roll it into a rectangle.

Layer the smoked turkey slices shingle-wise on top of the dough. Put half of the Boursin on top of the turkey, then layer the spinach leaves on top. Distribute the rest of the cheese over the spinach, then roll the dough into a jelly-like roll towards you. Pinch the seam and carefully cut the roll into equal sized pieces (2 inch each). Grease your pan (you can also use a muffin pan for individual rolls), and place the rolls with their cut side down in the pan. Cover and rise for about 20 minutes in a warm location.

Heat your oven to 350F and bake the rolls on the middle rack for about 30 minutes or until golden-brown. These rolls are good warm or cold.


8 comments:

  1. O this looks soooooo good. That smoked turkey must have make it smell like heaven. Wonderful to have an own vegetable garden!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soooo yummy!!! I'll save this for future reference. This looks like it's perfect for my hubby's birthday party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lien, I love my vegetable garden! You are right, the smell from these buns made my mouth water.

    Andrea, thanks for the comment. You should try the recipe with some of those lovely cheeses and meats you have over there, let me know how they turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just going to ask what Boursin cheese was but the Wikipedia University helped me already. According to Wikipedia, they sell it in Germany, too, so I'll look for it. Otherwise, a fat cream cheese with herbs could be a good substitute, no? The idea with the muffin pan for individual rolls is perfect. So looking forward to making these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andrea, I'm sure you have Boursin in Germany. If not, a nice fresh goat cheese or feta will do the trick too. Or you can make your own garlicky cheese! I baked with it before, here's a recipe for the cheese if you'd like to make it yourself: http://breadbutterandbuns.blogspot.com/2010/01/boursin-buns.html

    Have fun with it and let me know how it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Nicole. If I can't find Boursin (I'll go grocery shopping on Friday) I'll try to make it myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, I made these buns last weekend and they were heavenly!!! My kids want me to make them again VERY soon! Btw, I also used the first batch of the butterscotch chips you sent me: here's my post about the "product" - Butterscotch Scones: http://wp.me/pv1QP-Fs

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I saw these, my mouth watered like crazy! They look beautiful and the flavors are spot on, especially the turkey and boursin cheese (reminds me of a criossant sandwich they used to sell at au bon pain - but the spincah makes it that much more special). Excellent idea..and bookmarked! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete